Organic cooking has become the way of healthy eating today. It is known for its ability to transform people’s life. Here are a few organic recipes for desserts.
Dessert recipe 1: Acorn squash blended with fruit & nut
When the sweet flavour of acorn squash meets the savoury aroma of nuts and juicy apples, the end result is a nutrient-enriched and gastronomically delightful meal of acorn squash blended with fruit and nuts, that is bound to appeal to your taste buds and leave you asking for more.
The dessert recipe is given below:
Preparation Ease: Easy to moderate
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Number of servings: 4
- 2 medium sized acorn squash chopped into half horizontally
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided equally
- 2 tablespoons of healthy brown sugar
- 1 small apple of granny smith variety
- tiny honeysmith apple
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of organic nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of organic spice
- 2 pinch of sea salt, and a few more pinch for garnishing at the end
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of finely diced pistachios, and a little more for garnishing later
- 1/4 cup of chopped and fresh dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon of organic vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seeds
- A drizzle of sour cream or yoghurt
Instructions for preparation
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 300-350 degrees. Then, in a large baking dish of glass, add dollops of butter taken in 4 tablespoons. To melt butter, simply pop in the dish in the oven during preheat.
- Acorns that are slit horizontally into halves should be sliced a few inches off at the base so that each half of squash sits steady and flat.
- Once butter has melted, add the butter and sprinkle few pinches of brown sugar on the base of a fan evenly. Lay the acorn squash halves in the ‘face down’ position so that the protruding flesh rests against the butter-brown sugar mixture of the pan. Bake this mixture in the preheated oven till 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the remaining two tablespoons of unsalted butter in a skillet. Once it has heated and melted, mix in the chopped apples and sauté the mixture until it is tender yet textured. Add cinnamon spices and salt for taste.
- Remove this stuffing filling into a medium-sized salad bowl and mix it well by adding chopped walnuts, cranberries as well as pistachios intermittently. After this, add in the organic vanilla extract, the poppy seeds and toss them together to distribute the heavenly mixture.
- Upturn the baked squash fish onto individual plates or a single platter, spoon out some butter-brown sugar layer from the baking vessel and drizzle the gooey layer onto the centre or along the squash tops.
- Stuff in the centers of squash with the filling mixture prepared before and drizzle the squash tops with some pistachios and lukewarm honey.
What to expect?
The end result is a delightfully yummy platter of squash acorns overlaid with delectable pistachios and stuffed with warm, scented apple filling that comes across as a heavenly treat, remindful of springtime even during the cold, gloomy days of winter. You can enjoy the dish with bread sticks or singly.
Dessert recipe 2: Pumpkin Cheesecake with cranberry candies
What better way to combine the goodness of cranberries and the irresistible taste of cheesecake than a pumpkin cheesecake with strawberry candies? Easy to prepare and wondrous to savour, this dish is a personal favourite among children.
The dessert recipe is given below:
Preparation Ease: moderate
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Number of servings: 15
- 2 cups of garden fresh cranberries, washed and drained
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 canned puree of pumpkin
- For crust: 12 sheets of vegan crackers, 2 ounces of vegan melted margarine
- For cheesecake filling
- 12 ounces of soft drained tofu
- 8 ounces of drained cream cheese (vegan)
- 1/2 cup of agave sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger, sea salt and freshly grated nutmeg
Instructions of Preparation
- To make the crust, first preheat oven to a temperature of 350 degrees. Next up, process the vegan crackers into dainty crumbs and add salt and margarine. Pulse them in the food processor to combine the mixture well.
- To make the cheese filling, combine puree ingredients like pumpkin puree, cranberries, nutmeg, cornstarch, vanilla extract, agave sugar, brown sugar, ginger and cream cheese into the food processor for five minutes till the mixture develops a smooth texture.
- Once processed, pour the mixture over the crust and bake it for an hour or so.
- Chill it in refrigerator overnight or five hours at the least.
- Once cheesecake filling has set, slice it and garnish each of the servings with cranberry candies.
Organic cooking of desserts entail a generous input of vegan food products, like fresh cream cheese, garden fresh fruits, organically grown nuts and vanilla. Whatever be the recipe or dish, they all carry a characteristic aroma and flavour that lingers and reminds you of all things good.
Special thanks to today’s sponsor, pest control peoria az!